Identity in Christ: Your New Relationship with God
It's About Who You Are –Not What You Do!
Your relationship to God is no longer based on what you do; it's based on who you are. You used to be dead; the new you is alive. You used to be a sinner; now you're a saint. Even more importantly, you have a new relationship to Him. Please read the passages below very carefully. They define how He sees you –what He thinks of you –who you are to Him.
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. (John 15:15)
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God– children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. (John 1:12-13)
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir. (Galatians 4:7)
To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father– to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen. (Revelation 1:5-6)
What did you do to deserve all of this? Nothing! You have been saved because of God's undeserved love.
For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. (Romans 5:10-11)
While we were still enemies with God –before we even went seeking Him– He took down the barriers that stood between Him and us (our sins) through His Son's death. Upon accepting what He provided –His Son's death, burial, and resurrection– We became: His friends, His children, His heirs, and His priests.
In summary: Because your identity is "in Christ"
- You are His friend, His child, and His heir
- You are also a priest –an ambassador– to the lost world
- You are righteous, alive, forgiven, justified, redeemed
- You have been sanctified, justified, made holy and perfect
- You have been reconciled to and accepted by God
- You are without blemish, free from accusation, and complete
- You are alive, forgiven, justified, redeemed, free from condemnation
- You have wisdom and understanding
- You have joined Him in His death, burial, and resurrection
- Your old identity is gone and your new identity is eternal
- You have been given the righteousness of God
- You are God's ambassador to tell others that He doesn't count sins against them
- You are His friend, His child, His heir, and His priest
Law (Legalism) vs. Grace
For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! (Romans 6:14-15 - NIV)